Workington 31 Oldham 12

Date published: Monday, March 21, 2011

WE suffered our first Co-operative Championship One defeat away from home in more than 18 months when beaten 31-12 at Workington on Sunday (March 20).

It was a disappointing performance from Roughyeds, who conceded two tries in the first five minutes and two more in the first four minutes of the second half.

We trailed 24-0 until midway through the second half when Mick Diveney’s short ball to Ben Wood on the burst enabled the big centre to smash through the defensive line and score by the posts. Diveney added the goal.

Shortly after that Town prop Ryan Macdonald was sent off for leading with the forearm, but Roughyeds couldn’t capitalise on their numerical advantage.

They missed a glorious chance which could have put them seriously in contention again when Lucas Onyango did brilliantly to take Diveney’s wide ball and somehow keep his balance just inside the touchline. He fed Wood on the inside, but with only the full-back to beat and men in support Ben seemed to be caught in two minds and the full-back was able to get a hand to his pass and knock it down.

After that Rougheyds lost their composure again and gave away five penalties on the run, this giving Town the opportunity to wrap it all up with a Kaighan penalty followed by a drop goal from the same player.

We did make one last effort which enabled Andy Isherwood to send in John Clough for a consolation try which Diveney improved, this meaning that we needed one more try to earn a bonus point.

We had to push the passes with time running out, but the ball went to ground and Bainbridge hacked on to score Town’s sixth and final try. We thus left Derwent Park empty handed and disappointed.

Scorers: Workington — drop goal, Kaighan; goals, Kaighan (3); tries, Mossop, Low, Frazer (2), Kaighan, Bainbridge; Oldham — goals, Diveney (2); tries, Wood, Clough.

Workington: Carter; Low, Mossop, Patrick, Frazer; Bainbridge, Kaighan; Macdonald, Mattinson, Coward, Whitehead, Stack, Olstrum.. Subs: Pedley, McGoff, Jackson, Shackley.

Oldham: Brocklehurst; Onyango, Bradbury, Wood, Fogarty; Roden, Diveney; Boults, Clough, Gilchrist, Isherwood, Noone, Clarke. Subs: Bentley, Whitmore, Sutton, Ellison.

Referee: Jamie Leahy; Att: 473.