Under 20’s game OFF

Date published: Thursday, June 20, 2013
OLDHAM are “bitterly disappointed” and less than pleased by Hemel Stags’ inability to fulfil Saturday’s under-20s fixture at Whitebank.

They have told Roughyeds, who beat them 48-0 in Hertfordshire last month, they can’t raise a team for the return fixture.

It means Phil Costin’s boys will have been without a match for five weeks by the time they entertain Salford City Reds at Whitebank on Friday, July 12.

Said Costin: “I’m gutted. It’s disrespectful to the Oldham club and it questions their integrity towards the competition.

“They asked us to kick off at 12.30pm at their place and, despite a lot of inconvenience, we obliged because we wanted to help them.

“We’ve only got 14 games to start with and we are still trying to rearrange the home game against South Wales, which was postponed in March.”

Costin had the backing of his club chairman Chris Hamilton, who said: “We fulfilled our under-20s fixture at Hemel with all the associate costs, and now we are being penalised for doing things right.

“As things stand at present neither Hemel nor South Wales are coming up.

“The RFL need to make sure that if they are running a competition it is done properly.”