Reserves: Oldham 44 Sheffield Eagles 16

Date published: Sunday, June 13, 2010

ROUGHYEDS Reserves made it four wins out of six games played in the Reserves Championship when they rattled up their third big score in a row to beat Sheffield Eagles 44-16 at Whitebank on Saturday.

In beating York City Knights 48-16, Hunslet Hawks 58-20 and Sheffield 44-16 in their last three games, all at Whitebank, John Hough’s boys have run in a hugely impressive 26 tries at an average of nearly nine per game.

In this latest triumph the team was as follows: Brocklehurst; McMullen, J Knight, Williams, Chetwynd; Diveney, Cannick; Marsden, Mansfield, Mellor, Ward, Walker, Smith. Subs: Hatton, Cadd, Joy, Watkins.

Jamie Knight, Danny Chetwynd, John Walker and Dean Hatton each scored two tries and Mick Diveney kicked six goals from eight attempts to take his aggregate return in the last three games to 23 goals from 27 shots.

Roughyeds led 18-10 at half-time after taking first use of the slope, but despite having Hatton sin-binned for a high tackle in the 23rd minute.

Neither side scored while the home side was down to 12 men and the extra hard work undertaken by Oldham during that period paid off handsomely in the second half when they got well on top to finish comfortable winners.

They started the game well with a fifth-minute try by Knight, goaled by Diveney, after strong driving by Ben Mellor.

Eagles, who looked a handy side at that stage, scored two quick tries to lead 10-6, but Oldham replied with a Hatton try and Diveney goal for a 12-10 lead before Hatton was shown the yellow card.

He was back on the field by the time the next score was recorded and it went to Oldham with Knight racing 30 metres for his second try of the game. Diveney again added the extras and Oldham led 18-10 at the break.

Early in the second half came the best try of the game with Hatton, Scott Mansfield and Diveney all combining beautifully before winger Chetwynd crossed for a cracker. Diveney obliged once again.

A score of 24-10 became 30-10 when, from a tap penalty, Diveney sent Walker under the posts and then kicked the goal.

Eagles pegged back a converted try, but the last half hour was all Oldham as they leapfrogged Sheffield in the league table to begin to mount a serious challenge for the play-offs.

A surging run by Michael Cadd set up another try for second-row man Walker and then the impressive Hatton went in from dummy half.

Oldham were home and dry now with a lead of 38-16 but they were still not finished and five minutes from the end centre Alistair Williams was sent on a long run down the left-hand touchline before he found his winger, Chetwynd, with a try-scoring pass inside.

Diveney goaled to wrap up the scoring and to put the finishing touches to another job well done.

The platform was set by strong defence early in the game, a feature in which Michael Ward excelled in the first half.

The Reserves next two assignments are both away from home — at Hunslet on Friday night, June 18 (kick off 8.00pm) and then at Whitehaven on Saturdsay, June 26 (2.30pm kick off).