Mansfield in doubt

Date published: Saturday, April 3, 2010

SCOTT Mansfield looks certain to miss Roughyeds’ game against Workington Town at Sedgley Park on Monday (3.00pm kick off) when the Oldham boys will be hoping to make it four league wins out of four.

The young forward damaged an ankle in the later stages of our hard-fought 22-16 win at Rochdale on Good Friday and was clearly in a lot of pain as he was carried from the field.

“We also have lots of players with bumps and bruises,” said coach Tony Benson, “but with Monday’s game coming up fast I tried to limit the time that some players had on the field. We’ll have to see what happens over the weekend but with the exception of Scotty I’m hoping everyone else will be okay.”

It remains to be seen what Tony will do with his squad for Monday’s game, but purely for the record (no more significance than that) five members of his original squad for the Rochdale game didn’t get an appearance at Spotland — Ian Hodson, Jamie I’Anson, Chris Clarke, Danny Whitmore and Paul Reilly, who had apparently gone down with a stomach complaint.

Roughyeds are hoping that the large number of Oldham fans who provided the bulk of the 1,412 crowd at Spotland will be out in force again on Monday — to “lift” the boys on the field in their second tough game in four days and to celebrate the acquisition of a ground of our own for the first time in 13 years.

Having played three away games in the league — and won them all — the club is in need of a financial boost from a healthy crowd at Sedgley on Monday. Club officials hope loyal fans will recognise that and will make a special effort to turn Monday’s attendance into a White Bank Stadium celebration party.

About the win at Hornets, Tony B said: “It was a very difficult game, much of which was all about Hornets. Despite suffering two serious injuries they came back at us and they kept coming back at us. However, we learned a lesson and we picked up another three points.”

Roughyeds led 18-0 after 25 minutes, but Hornets then scored 16 points without reply to put the derby clash in the balance before Oldham eased the pressure with a late try by Mark Brocklehurst.

Added Tony: “Three weeks off didn’t help us. We were a bit rusty and our timing was often out, but we kept working hard and we kept on battling for each other and I was very pleased about that.

“At half-time, when we led 18-4, we talked about keeping the ball away from them and completing our sets in the first 20 minutes of the second half and we felt that if we had done that the game would have been ours again in the final 20.

“What happened? The opposite happened. We gave up a lot of ball and surrendered a lot of possession and full credit to Rochdale for putting us under a lot of pressure. The two long stoppages didn’t help. They stopped the flow of the game and they frsutrated us at a time when we were going well.

“I do feel that in the second half we felt the strain of not having played for three weeks but nevertheless we got a lot out of the game . . . three points and a good lesson in particular. We kept our tenacity too, and our willingness to fight for each other to the very end finally saw us through.”

Match report is now available in the match section of the website.