Injuries run down

Date published: Tuesday, May 4, 2010

FOLLOWING the tough game at Doncaster, in which Roughyeds made it seven wins from seven league outings, several players will be in for treatment and rehab as Tony Benson’s boys get ready for Sunday’s home clash with York City Knights.

Having played five games away so far, and only two at home, Roughyeds can now look forward to five at home out of the next six — a real opportunity to consolidate their position in the upper reaches of Co-operative Championship 1.

Hunslet, Blackpool and Oldham, each on 21 points, have now opened up a seven-point gap on fourth-placed Rochdale.

Roughyeds, though, will be at home to York, London Skolars, Hunslet Hawks, Doncaster and Blackpool, with only one away game at Workington, between now and June 20 in a sequence of mid-season matches that will go a long way to determining their final league position.

Among the walking wounded at Doncaster were Martin Roden, who took a knock to the head; Chris Clarke, who had nine stitches in a gashed lip; Craig Robinson, who suffered an injury caused by hyper-extension of an elbow; Neil Roden, who had to leave the field with a foot injury; and several other players who picked up the usual bumps and bruises.

Clarke, who took a smack in the face, suffered a particularly nasty injury of its type and the game was held up for a few minutes while he received attention on the field before being escorted off.

Neil Roden limped out of the dressing room with a damaged toe which, at worst, might be broken but, at best, merely bruised.

Said coach Tony B: “The players will regroup tonight (Tues) as our thoughts turn to York, but it will be a light session, mainly assessing injuries and doing some rehab.”

Turning to his side’s performance in a 46-26 win, he said: “What I’m pleased about is that we kept fighting.

“Although we trailed 14-12 at half-time I was confident that if we maintained what we had been doing, but improved on our ball control, we would take the game away from them in the last 20 and that’s pretty much what happened.

“Early in the first half we had a big territorial advantage but the game turned when we conceded two penalties in a row.

“We went to Doncaster expecting a tough arm-wrestle over much of the game and we knew we would have to tough-it out with them and stick with them for a large part of the game.

“They are a good side and they are going to hurt a lot of teams from here on in. There are things from this performance for us to work on but generally speaking the plan we adopted for the game was a good one and we stuck to it.

“The injuries caused some disruption to plans with several players having to leave the field, this resulting in others inevitably having to stay on when normally they would have been given a breather.

“I wasn’t at all happy with the way our young fella Clarkey suffered his facial injury. He had another good game in which he made 23 tackles in the first half alone. Joe Chandler did something similar.

“The front-rowers also went well. They are looking dangerous with the ball now as was underlined when first Jason Boults and later Dave Ellison each scored a try.

“We now have a lot of different attacking tools up our sleeves. Many players are able to create situations and our attack is full of variety. I’m really pleased about that.

“Doncaster made us work hard for our tries, but everyone played well. In the past we might have had a panic attack when we went behind and when we found it tough to get over their line.

“I was pleased that we didn’t panic but instead kept our composure; kept trying things; kept our patience; and it all paid off in the end.”