Indiscipline costs reserves

Date published: Friday, August 3, 2012

An astonishing first-half penalty count of 10-0 to Halifax proved decisive as Roughyeds’ Reserves lost 34-4 at The Shay last night.
They will now finish third and will face Halifax again on the same ground in a 2 v 3 play-off on a date still to be announced.
Roughyeds kept their line intact for 32 minutes before conceding two tries by former Oldham player Ben Heaton in the run-up to half-time.
They went into the game with a reshuffled side to cover for the absence of the injured Ben Hinsley, Chris Dean and Carl Sneyd and then lost influential scrum-half Ryan Hilliard with concussion after 25 minutes.
That, coupled with the penalties they conceded for high shots, ball stealing or infringing at the ruck, gave Halifax all the ball and all the territorial advantage they needed on their way to a 10-0 interval lead.
In the second half Halifax were found to be not so squeaky clean after all when penalised six times to Oldham’s three, but the visitors had done so much chasing and tackling by then that they were always likely to tire in the later stages.
They kept in contention with a try out wide by Mark Brocklehurst, after strong attacking work by Jamie Acton and Steve Nield.
The game-breaker followed soon afterwards, however, when Roughyeds winger Callum Mulkeen lost the ball near his own line and presented Halifax with a gift third try by former Oldham loanee Chris Holroyde.
Roughyeds, giving a debut off the bench to new boy and former Hunslet forward Sam Dowby, trailed 16-4 for another 18 minutes before conceding three more converted tries in the last quarter of an hour.
Halifax were the better side on a night when Oldham couldn’t recapture recent form, but the Roughyeds at least had an outstanding man of the match in workaholic back-row forward Jamie Acton.
Team: Nield; Foreman, Brocklehurst, Worrall, Mulkeen; Connick, Hilliard; Joy, Moran, Langtree, Cunningham, Mulhearn, Acton. Subs: Hughes, Dowby, C Noone, Wood-Hulme.