“Fordy” back on dual reg

Date published: Monday, May 19, 2014
SALFORD centre Jon Ford is back at Whitebank on dual registration after a loan spell with Sheffield Eagles in the Championship.

Paper work was completed late on Friday and the 20-year-old was pushed straight into the Oldham side which beat York City Knights 31-30.
He played in his usual left-centre spot, from where he scored 21 tries in 15 games for Roughyeds last year, taking the place of the injured Edwin Okanga-Ajwang.
Edwin (19), who is also on dual registration from the Red Devils, was out because of an ankle injury and concussion, picked up last weekend when playing for the Super League club’s academy side.
Ford didn’t score on this occasion, but he sent in winger Dale Bloomfield for the first of his three tries by getting on the end of a slick four-man passing movement and looking for his winger to supply the finishing touches.
“What happens to me now is up to the two clubs,” said Ford. “It was great to be back in the Oldham side — I enjoyed it so much last year — but I have little say in it. It’s all down to Oldham and Salford.”
Putting Oldham’s side of the story, coach Scott Naylor explained that for most of his stay here in 2013, Ford was on long-term loan.
“This time he’s come on dual-reg,” he added. “That means there isn’t as much permanency about the move.
“We would like Jon to be here, but he’s a Salford player and under the terms of a dual-reg agreement they have complete control over where and when he goes to another club.
“He goes back to train with Salford on Tuesday and, who knows, they might want him back.”
He also stressed that Okanga-Ajwang was left out of yesterday’s Oldham team only because of the injuries he sustained while playing for Salford last weekend.
Roughyeds had another setback when hooker Adam Files suffered a recurrence of a knee injury which had kept him sidelined for two months.
A substitute, he had been on the field only six minutes when he went down in pain.
“Hopefully, we’ll know more about this by the middle of the week,” added Naylor.
Looking ahead, hat-trick winger Dale Bloomfield — whose total number of tries this year is now eight — said the team was still not operating for 80 minutes.
He added: “We need to be more ruthless. We’ll get a roasting from Scott (Naylor) at training on Tuesday.”
Chairman Chris Hamilton said Roughyeds showed unbelievable character to come from behind and win in hot, humid conditions after defending almost non-stop in the second half.
He added: “It was an amazing game for lots of reasons. York did to us what we did to them in the first half hour.
“It was massively important for us to get a win against one of the two so-called top teams because some people were doubting our ability to do that after our defeat at Hunslet.”
Skipper Lewis Palfrey commented: “We began like a house on fire. Perhaps, at 27-0, we relaxed a little bit and slipped down a gear. It’s happened before. We are not a flash side, we are a grafting side, but once we get on top we need to make sure we stay there.
“No matter how you might be struggling though a good team will find a way to win and that’s what we did in the last few minutes when Nieldy (Steve Nield) went in for the winning try.”