Dave Ellison update!

Date published: Monday, July 4, 2011

DAVE Ellison, the Oldham prop, may have played his last game of the season after severely dislocating an elbow in yesterday’s superb 40-20 Co-operative Championship One win at Whitebank against Whitehaven.

It was the Roughyeds’ third win in a row, ending the Cumbrian side’s eight-match unbeaten run, and it came 24 hours after the Reserves won 28-22 at Widnes to inflict the Vikings’ first defeat of the year.Brave Ellison

Ellison’s injury, however, took some of the gloss off the double celebrations. The dislocation was so severe that the game was held up for 15 minutes until the player was carried away by stretcher to wait for the ambulance.

Accompanied by club chairman Chris Hamilton, he was taken to the Royal Oldham Hospital where doctors battled to get the joint back into place.

“They thought at one stage that Dave would need a general anaesthetic,” said Mr Hamilton, “but in the end they were able to get it back without having to take that course of action. He is likely to be in plaster for four to six weeks, at the end of which doctors will want to know what damage, if any, has been caused to the nerves and blood vessels.

“It is far too early yet to make any predictions about how long he will be out, but it’s clearly going to be several weeks at the very soonest.”

This is the latest in a long line of serious injury setbacks which have hurt Roughyeds this season.

Ellison joins Lucas Onyango, Mick Fogerty, Chris Clarke and Bruce Johnson on the long-term casualty list, while John Gillam and Tom Wood-Hulme are only now ready for action again after months on the sidelines.

Fogerty damaged a knee in his first game of the season, while Johnson came to the club a few weeks ago on a deal to the end of the season but badly damaged a finger in a Reserves game before ever appearing at first-team level.

Another casualty yesterday was teenage centre Matthew Fogarty, who hurt an elbow up at Gateshead the week before and then aggravated it again in the Whitehaven game when falling heavily after leaping high to take a cross-field kick and score.

It isn’t known yet whether the injury will keep him out of Saturday’s game against London Skolars at The Stoop (5pm), but it was bad enough to warrant a hospital check, the results of which won’t be known until later.

John Hough’s reserve team are in action at Whitebank on Thursday against Featherstone Rovers when they will be seeking their sixth win in a row, kicking off at 7.45pm..