Boults faces lay-off

Date published: Monday, June 24, 2013
A CHECK-UP at a fracture clinic will determine how long Oldham prop Jason Boults will be out of action with a broken finger.

It was broken in two places — an injury which kept him out of the 26-18 win against Hemel Stags at Whitebank — in a freak training accident.

Prior to the Hemel game, the 29-year-old front-row man had made 50 consecutive Roughyeds appearances, boasting the longest such run of consistency of any player in Kingstone Press Championship One.

Said Boults, who has played 168 games for Roughyeds in his seven seasons at the club: “My timing was impeccable . . . 50 games in a row, and then this in training.

“It happened when Michael Ward smashed into me, so I’ve got ‘Wardie’ to thank for it.

“I’m hoping I won’t be out too long, no more than a week or two, but I’ll know more after my examination at the clinic.”

It happened last Thursday night, after which Boults had x-rays at a Halifax hospital near his home.

Twenty-four hours later, Oldham boss Scott Naylor had acquired the services of Salford forward Jordan Walne on dual registration.

Walne had a strong game off the bench in Oldham’s pack, which paved the way for the Roughyeds’ sixth win in eight games and their elevation to second place in the table behind North Wales Crusaders.

Said Naylor: “Walne did superbly well when you take into consideration that it was 11.30pm on Friday night before he knew he was coming to us for the weekend.

“He had a little run-out with us on Saturday morning and then he was thrust straight into the team on the bench.

“Considering it was all done at such short notice, his attitude and commitment were both top-notch.”

Roughyeds suffered another injury setback when winger Mo Agoro failed a fitness test on the ankle injury he picked up at South Wales Scorpions.

To fill the gap, Naylor switched Richard Lepori from full-back to wing and brought in Steven Nield at full-back.

Roughyeds moved up from third place to second in Championship One thanks to Rochdale’s defeat at London Skolars.

Naylor’s men lie four points behind the leaders, who come to Whitebank at the end of July.