Benson’s thoughts over beating Doncaster at the Whitebank Stadium

Date published: Tuesday, May 3, 2011

TONY Benson, the Roughyeds boss, was delighted with his side’s performance in beating Doncaster 46-24 at the Whitebank Stadium on May Day.

This is what he said:

“I am proud of every one of the boys, from 1 to 17. We went into the game after a tough week. We were bashed up the previous weekend when we had two games in four days.

“We were back in on Tuesday night but so many players needed physio or massaging that our medical staff were the busiest people on the night.

“We managed to train on Thursday night, but I wasn’t able to settle on a side until Saturday morning, and there was the added problem of Matthew Fogarty going down with a gastric ailment.

“Marcus St Hilaire, Andy Isherwood and Shaun Robinson were also out and then, in the pre-match warm-up, Lucas Onyango went down with Achilles tendon problems.

“We had to do a late reshuffle on top of a reshuffle. It would have been easy for the boys to feel sorry for themselves, but they went out and did a great job in difficult circumstances. We played some great rugby.

[singlepic id=660 w=320 h=240 float=right]”There is still lots of room for improvement, but we were very dominant in the specific areas we had concentrated on, such as making sure we started the second half on full throttle so that we wouldn’t give Doncaster any encouragment to come back at us down the hill.

“We know there is still much work to do, but we are working really hard in training and behind the scenes and, as I keep saying, I am seeing a lot of improvement in the team from week to week.

“There were a lot of good individual performances, but I think special mention should go to Michael Ward on his debut and to John Gillam who did remarkably well in his first game back after three months out with a horrific facial injury.

“Ward’s pass to Carl Forber for one of the tries was superb. He has been working hard with the first-team squad for some time now, waiting patiently for his chance. I am so glad that, when it came, he did so well.. Don’t forget that he didn’t even know he was playing until a few minutes before kick off.

“As for John Gillam, he turned up for training on the Thursday night and immediately put up his hand to play when Shaun Robinson was ruled out.

“Strictly speaking, he wasn’t to have had any contact work for at least another week, but he was keen to play so we bashed him about out on the pads to see how he would respond and he came through well.

“Even so, he was still a very brave boy to go out there and play like he did. He did phenomenally well in the circumstances. I take off my hat to both these lads for what they did, and I think the way the whole team responded to the adveersity is what this club is all about.”